Subject: Joint Controllership Arrangement between the Early Warning and Response System Member States competent authorities and the European Commission
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2024 17:01:57 +0200

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on väljastpoolt asutust saabunud kirjaga. Tundmatu 
saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.

Dear Sir/Madame,

You have been nominated by your country to sign the Joint Controllership 
Arrangement (JCA) between the Early Warning and Response System (EWRS) 
Member States (MS) competent authorities and the European Commission when 
processing personal data via EWRS platform.

In accordance with Article 28 of Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 ( 1 ) and Article 
26 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 ( 2 ), the Commission acts together with MS 
as joint controllers of the EWRS. Within the joint controllership, the 
responsibility for ensuring data protection is allocated, at different 
levels, between the Commission, the MS and the ECDC (as processor in 
accordance with Article 8 of Regulation (EC) 851/2004 ( 3 )). To ensure 
lawfulness of the operation of the system, it is necessary to sign a JCA, 
which would clearly and unequivocally define the roles and responsibilities 
of the controllers and processors. It is important that the JCA specifies 
who is responsible for what, and how data subjects can exercise their 
rights. Having a JCA was recommended in the conclusions of the EWRS data 
protection impact assessment (carried out in 2022). The JCA is needed to 
ensure compliance with Regulations(EU) 2018/1725 and (EU) 2016/679. 
Therefore, within the assessment of the needs to ensure alignment of the 
EWRS with Regulation (EU) 2022/2371 on serious cross-border threats to 
health ( 4 ), a contractor was tasked to prepare a draft of a JCA that would 
be signed by the MS and the Commission.

The draft was shared and discussed with the MS in several rounds of online 
workshops and written consultations (please find attached a copy).

We are reaching out to you to announce that the JCA has now been approved by 
both MS and SANTE’s Data Protection Coordinator and soon will be shared with 
you for signature.

We would like to also make sure that you are reachable via the contact 
details that have been provided to us and available the coming weeks for the 
signature.

Please confirm the good reception of this email and inform us as soon as 
possible if there have been any changes in your nomination by 10 January 
2025.

Kind regards,

HSC Secretariat

European Commission
DG Health and Food Safety
B2 Health Security

DRB A1/038

12 Rue Guillaume Kroll

L-1882 Luxembourg

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]